Kanye and Kimmel have a meeting of the minds

Kanye West has given Jimmy Kimmel
the rap feud he's always wanted. After
Kimmel poked fun at West's interview
with the BBC -- in which the entertainer
called himself the No. 1 rock star on the
planet -- West went to Twitter to air his
profane grievances (in all caps, of
course). West wants a public apology,
but in the meantime, check out these
other epic celebrity feuds:


Love him or hate him, Kanye West will always
be himself -- especially when he's burying the hatchet
with Jimmy Kimmel.
The 36-year-old Grammy winner appeared on "Jimmy
Kimmel Live" on Wednesday to discuss the feud the
two got into a few weeks ago.
Kanye West and Twitter: A brief history
It all started with Kimmel's parody of West's recent
interview with BBC Radio 1, during which he spoke at
length about feeling artistically boxed in and the status
of hip-hop as the new rock n' roll. (That's where West's
now legendary quote, "I'm the No. 1 rock star on the
planet," came from.)
Kimmel, who admitted Wednesday that
he'd only seen a few portions of West's
viral interview, latched on to the rapper's
reference to leather jogging pants, which
he says he invented before they became
fashionable. For his late-night program on
ABC, Kimmel re-enacted that portion of
the interview with little kids.
"I wanted to clear this up. I really felt bad about all of
this stuff, I did," Kimmel told West. "The main reason I
did (the sketch) is because I like to see kids curse ...
Most people maybe even think that this is some
publicity stunt that we cooked up."
But of course, West doesn't do publicity stunts,
"period," he said.
"Everyone out there ... needs to know that I've never
done a publicity stunt in my life. Anytime I've went up
and spoke my mind, whether it put my career in
jeopardy ... it was always what I thought was the truth.
I don't follow rules of normal celebrity."
In the end, West explained, Kimmel became a sort of
scapegoat for all the other members of the media
who've published "bogus" information.
Kanye West: I'm the No. 1 rock star on the planet
"A combination of me knowing you, but also, me not
knowing the person who put a bad headline on the
cover of In Touch, I was like, well this is the one person
I know," West said. "So I can go and let out everything
that I feel about every single bogus weekly cover, every
single bogus skit, every single rumor -- everything that
people think is OK to treat celebrities like zoo animals,
or act like what they're saying is not serious."
West said his frustration admittedly escalated after his
initial phone call with Kimmel about the sketch.
"It elevates sometimes," West said. "At a certain point,
egos flare up, and we just kind of took it back to high
school for a little bit."
For Kimmel, it was odd to be in a feud with West,
someone he's gotten to know well enough where he has
found himself defending the artist's reputation.
"A lot of times, I think you bring it on yourself, this
misunderstanding about you. I don't know if you know
this, but a lot of people think you're a jerk," Kimmel
told West. "I often, in my own personal conversations,
say, 'No, I know this guy, he is not a jerk.'"
Kanye and Kim take Paris
Yet to West, likability is apparently immaterial.
"I'm not running for office, I'm just here to make good
music," West said. "When I did that interview, I was
really vocal about a lot of the things that I've been
dealing with over the past 10 years when I was put in
the classification of 'just a celebrity.' For me, I'm a
creative genius, and there's no other way to word it. I
know you're not supposed to say that about yourself,
and I say things the wrong way a lot of times, but my
intention is always positive. ... I want to help the world."
Kimmel pointed out those sorts of statements are what
critics use against West, but to him, "to say that I
wasn't a genius, I would be lying to you and to myself."
"I could care less about any of these cameras, in all
honesty. All I care about is my family, I care about
protecting my girl, protecting my baby, and protecting
my ideas and my dreams. That's the reason why I went
so crazy," West said. " I'm totally weird, and I'm totally
honest, and I'm totally inappropriate sometimes ... I'm
just going to give y'all the truth, and y'all going to learn
to love it. You're going to love me, you're going to hate
me, but I'm going to be me."
And since he was sharing his truth, West told Kimmel
that he did find a bit of joy in his profane Twitter spree.
"As I was writing it, there was a frustration I was getting
out, but also they were really funny to me. I just
thought it was so amazing that I was saying this in real
time with my position, because as soon as you're a
celebrity you're not allowed to say anything anymore,"
West said, adding with a laugh, "You should've seen the
second set of tweets."
Kimmel responded with a laugh, "Let's save them for
next time."

Comments