Yankees' Andy Pettitte hanging up pinstripes



"I want all of our fans to know ... how grateful I am for
their support throughout my career," Andy Pettitte
says.
-

- The New York Yankees' Andy
Pettitte, the
winningest pitcher in post-season history, will retire
after this season, the Yankees said Friday.
Pettitte, 41, owns a 255-152 career record with a 3.86
ERA in 529 appearances over 18 Major League seasons.
In the post-season, he went 19-11 with a 3.81 ERA in
44 career starts. It's still possible for Pettitte to see
another post-season, since the 80-73 Yankees are still
eligible to go to the playoffs in the post-season as a wild
card.
"I've reached the point where I know that I've left
everything I have out there on that field. The time is
right. I've exhausted myself, mentally and physically,
and that's exactly how I want to leave this game."
The lefty played most of his career for the Yankees but
had a brief stint in the last decade with the Houston
Astros.
His career wasn't without controversy.
In December 2007, he was cited by a group led by
former Sen. George Mitchell in a report on illegal use of
performance-enhancing drugs in baseball.
Pettitte was among dozens named in its findings, and
the report became the basis of a hearing two months
later by the House Committee on Oversight and
Government Reform. He later admitted to using growth
hormones in 2002 and 2004, one of the few players to
admit to the use of such drugs.
What will future hold for Yankees?
'Tip my cap' to Yankees fans
But Pettitte's career has been filled with highlights.
A three-time All-Star and 2001 American League
Championship Series MVP, he's the only pitcher in the
majors to pitch at least 17 seasons without a losing
season, the Yankees said. This year, he has gone 10-10
with 3.93 ERA in 28 starts.
Pettitte will end his career as one of 12 players to spend
at least 15 seasons with the Yankees, the team said. A
Louisiana native and Texas resident, he pitched three
seasons with the Houston Astros and appeared in the
2005 World Series, when the Chicago White Sox swept
the Astros.
He also posted a winning record in each of the first 13
seasons of his career, from 1995 to 2007. That was the
third-longest such streak to begin a career all time, the
Yankees said, behind Hall of Famers Grover Cleveland
Alexander, at 17, and Cy Young, at 15.
"I'm announcing my retirement prior to the conclusion
of our season because I want all of our fans to know
now, while I'm still wearing this uniform, how grateful I
am for their support throughout my career. I want to
have the opportunity to tip my cap to them during
these remaining days and thank them for making my
time here with the Yankees so special," Pettitte said.
Pettitte's announcement comes as the Yankees honor
their great reliever, baseball's all-time saves leader
Mariano Rivera. Sunday's sold-out game against the San
Francisco Giants will feature a pregame ceremony
honoring Rivera, who is also retiring.
"One of the things I struggled with in making this
announcement now was doing anything to take away
from Mariano's day on Sunday. It is his day," Pettitte
said.
"He means so much to me, and has meant so much to
my career that I would just hate to somehow take the
attention away from him."

Comments