Blatter apologises to Ronaldo & Madrid



While comparing the Portugal international to
Lionel Messi, the Swiss said "one spends more
time at the hairdresser's than the other"
Fifa president Sepp Blatter has issued a public apology
to Cristiano Ronaldo for disparaging remarks he made
about the Real Madrid star.
During a debate at Oxford University over the
respective merits of the Portugal international and
Barcelona ace Lionel Messi, Blatter joked that "one
spends more time at the hairdresser's than the other".
Ronaldo took great offence, insinuating that the jibe
merely underlined Fifa's bias against him and his club,
but Blatter has now moved to calm the controversy by
tweeting the 28-year-old attacker.
"I apologise if you were upset by my light-hearted
answer at private event on Friday," the Swiss wrote to
Ronaldo's official Twitter account. "I never meant to
offend you.
"I am an honorary 'socio' at Real Madrid and explained
we've many talented players in world game, including
you. Best wishes."
Blatter also addressed an open letter to Real Madrid
president Florentino Perez to apologise for any offence
caused.
He said: "Dear President, I have received your letter
today, the contents of which surprised me.
"I want to clarify that for me Cristiano Ronaldo is at the
same level as Messi and they are both outstanding
players, each in their own way.
"I'm sorry that this situation produced in a university
event hurt as much as it did, and I apologise for it.
"It was never my intention to embarrass or disrespect
Real Madrid or one of their players or the fans, not only
for being the founder of the Fifa club but also for being
the club that I follow and admire from my youth."
Barcelona forward Messi has pipped Ronaldo to the last
four Fifa Ballon d'Or awards.

Comments