Gus Poyet 'to land Sunderland job'

Gus Poyet is set to be appointed as the new Sunderland
manager within the next 24 hours, according to widespread
reports.
#INSERT
type:image
caption:Gus Poyet looks to be on his way to the Stadium of
Light.
END#
• Randall: A lesson to learn
Poyet has long been the favourite for the vacant post, with
both Black Cats owner Ellis Short and director of football
Roberto De Fanti admirers of the former Brighton boss.
The Uruguayan will fill the void left by Paolo Di Canio, who,
after being appointed in March, was sacked five games into
the new Premier League season.
Former Sunderland defender Kevin Ball has been operating
as caretaker manager for the club while they have been
searching for a new boss, and he reiterated his desire to be
given the role permanently after Saturday's 2-1 defeat to
Manchester United
“A desire to manage is in me,” he told the Sunderland Echo.
"I’ve enjoyed the last few games, but it has been difficult
because when you are in the interim head coach role, you
are caught in a bit of a quandary.
“There are things that you might want to bring in and
introduce if you were in charge full-time, but when you
have to concentrate on things game by game there’s only so
much you can do.”
But despite Ball’s desire to remain as manager at the
Stadium of Light, the club are set to go for Poyet, who left
Brighton at the end of last season after guiding the
Championship side to the playoffs.
And speaking last month, the former Chelsea player revealed
he has been watching a lot of Sunderland this term.
“When I left Brighton, I thought I would be in England until
at least January,” Poyet told South American radio station
Sport890. “I planned that, over the first matches of this
season, I would pay a lot of attention to the teams I thought
could be in trouble.
“Of course, I watch Chelsea, Arsenal, Manchester [United],
but there was a group of teams who, if they didn’t start well,
I thought I could have a chance. I was watching Sunderland
a lot. People were talking a lot about them in the summer
because of Paolo and how many new players they had. So
I’ve seen quite a lot of them.”

Comments