Can Federer return to world's top four?

This is the first time since 2002 that Roger
Federer will fail to finish the year as a member of
the world's top four.
But as he prepares for a 12th consecutive appearance
at the ATP World Tour Finals, he says he is "physically
fine" and "mentally at peace" and is confident he can
return to the Grand Slam winners' circle next year.
"The French Open is always going to be hard as long as
Rafa Nadal is around," says the 32-year-old Swiss. "But
on the other surfaces, if I am playing well, it's more in
my racquet than in anybody else's racquet."
An end-of-season flourish on the quicker indoor courts
of Basel and Paris has given the 17-time Grand Slam
champion real hope after a year in which he has
resembled a tribute band hitting all the wrong notes.
A second-round defeat by Sergiy Stakhovsky at
Wimbledon was followed by a fourth-round exit to
Tommy Robredo at the US Open. Federer admits he
was not sufficiently prepared in New York after back
problems which began in Indian Wells in March and
"were worse than many thought they were".
He says, though, that he is back in shape, and so can let
his mind focus on the opponent rather than the
limitations of his back. The ageing process, Federer
argues, cannot be held liable for a below-par year.
"I disagree with it because last year I was world
number one at some point, and I was 31. So at 32 you
can't play tennis any more? I just don't believe in that
quick a turnaround," he adds.
He played a full schedule in 2012, including the
Olympics, and then felt the need to spend seven weeks
away from the tour in March and April of this year.
"Putting those things together it's actually very clear
where the struggles are coming from," he explains. "It's
important not to overreact or to panic. I had to
rebound on many occasions, which I think personally I
did, but it didn't reflect yet in the results."
So could Federer reclaim his place in the top four in
2014? He is certainly open-minded enough to try
anything he thinks might help - whether that is
experimenting with a larger racquet or giving his clay-
court shoes another airing after Wimbledon.
"I'm a very open person and I like to be criticised by
my coaches. That's what I expect from them - I don't
want them to be saying 'yes' to me all the time and
agreeing with everything I say. I want them to challenge
me and tell me the truth, otherwise what is the point of
hiring somebody?"
As the World Tour Finals begin on Monday, could one
of the other players on show replace Spain's David
Ferrer, who has become Federer's (rather reluctant)
understudy in the top four?
"It's really, really tough to be in the top eight," says
Stanislas Wawrinka. But at 28, he might just be coming
into his prime. He has the shrewd Magnus Norman as
his coach, and burgeoning self-confidence after a run
to the semi-finals of the US Open.
"When I'm on the court I really feel that I can beat
almost all the players," he tells me. "I trust myself, I
trust my game - I know that I have the level to beat
those players."
As Wawrinka prepares for winter training close to his
family in Switzerland, Tomas Berdych has promised to
add some more small pieces to the "really big puzzle"
that is tennis. He spent a month at number five this
year, but has not yet won a tournament in 2013, so
must be considered a long shot to break into the top
four.
Richard Gasquet says self-deprecatingly: "I'm not two
metres tall, I'm not very muscular, so I'm trying the
best I can with my shots."
That leaves Juan Martin Del Potro as the most likely. The
Argentine is a former US Open champion, the winner
of three tournaments in the past three months, and at
25, the youngest of the top 10 by 18 months.
But if the wannabes are eventually frustrated by the
return of an iconic lead singer, Federer's fellow Swiss
Wawrinka does not think they should despair.
"For me he is the best player ever in the world, and I'm
not trying to compare to him. When you are number
two after Roger, it is OK."

Comments